Entry 100 - Quote of the Night

9/28/19

"Don’t waste time in seeking little things. Naturally, it is easier to get other gifts from God than the supreme gift of Himself. But don’t be satisfied with anything less than the highest. I haven’t cared about the gifts that have come to me from God, except that I see, behind them, Him who is the Giver. Why are all my desires materialized? Because I go deep; I go straight to God. In every aspect of creation I see Him. He is our Father; He is nearer than the nearest, dearer than the dearest, more real than anybody else. He is both unknowable and knowable. God is crying for you. He wants you to return to Him. It is your birthright. You will have to leave this earth someday; it is not an abiding-place for you.

Earth life is only a school in which He has put us to see how we shall behave here; that is all. Before He will reveal Himself God wants to know whether we desire earth’s tinsel glory or whether we have acquired enough wisdom to say: “I am through with all this, Lord. I want to talk with You alone. I know You are all I really own. You will be with me when everyone else is gone.” Human beings are seeking happiness in marriage, in money, in wine, and so forth; but such people are puppets of destiny. Once this realization is attained, one finds out the true purpose of life and naturally begins to seek God.

We must claim our lost divine heritage. The more unselfish one is, the more he tries to give happiness to others, the more likely he will be to think about God. And the more one thinks of worldly goals and of human desires, the farther his soul’s happiness recedes from him. We were not put here on earth to grovel in the mud of the senses and get nipped with sufferings at every turn. That which is of the world is evil because it suppresses the bliss of the soul. The greatest happiness comes by immersing the mind in thoughts of God.

That is what you really want. I only wish He had put a little more sense in all of us. We have the freedom to cast God away or to accept Him. And here we are begging, begging, begging for a little money, a little happiness, a little love. Why ask for things that must be taken away from you one day? How long shall you be moaning about money and sickness and difficulties? Seize immortality and the kingdom of God! That is what you really want."

                 - Paramahansa Yogananda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journal Discourse 84

Journal Discourse 81

Journal Discourse 83