Entry 112 - There is No Negativity in God

Now, I'm aware that this post might tickle some feathers with some Christians, but hopefully it raises an interesting dialogue between those who share faith in God. I don't want people to assume that I look down on the Bible any less with this view that I'm about to share because that is definitely not the case. If anything, my view carries the same respect, if not more for who God is, but also for a respect for those who in the Bible shared many experiences with God and tried their hardest to explain it.

If the Bible was proclaimed to be God, I would not be writing this right now, and since I do not view the Bible as God, but as a written account of those who shared experiences with God, I feel at peace writing this and learning and growing from other people's commentary on this post. 

My point in writing this is to show you where I'm at right now, after wrestling for years with many passages in the Old Testament of the Bible. We know that the Bible is filled with different people's experiences with God. I myself have my own, and just as their experiences are valid and subjective to themselves, mine are also valid and subjective to my own experience.

I don't discount their experiences, I simply believe what Quantum Physics has told us through science: The observer and the observed are one and the same. Their experiences with God are legitimate, and also my experience with God is legitimate.  For example, when David felt forsaken by God and cried out to Him in the psalms saying "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" To Him, it might have felt that way (subjective personal experience) but we know objectively that God is in all, through all, with all and there is no place He cannot be.

So my point in writing this is to say I believe the Bible contains subjective experiences and objective facts, and wisdom is being able to discern which is which. When it comes to someone who wrote in a way that attributes negativity to God, I say I believe that could have been how they felt at that moment, but that isn't an objective fact of who God is.

I believe negative emotions such as anger, jealousy, hatred are not from God, but are either men attempting to describe the indescribable, or mental projections from men to justify their own wrongdoing. I believe that in God, there is no negativity at all. No negative emotions, no evil, no draining of any kind whatsoever. He is by nature, the purest form of Being in the universe. Whatever is negative is not of Him and cannot be of Him.

I believe all Scripture is God breathed, just as we are God breathed (Genesis 2:7), but I do not believe every word in the Bible is perfect at explaining the essence of who God is, nor do I believe humanity is perfect. Anytime in the Bible that people might have attributed human emotion that is sourced in the ego to God, is in my opinion a misinterpretation of what truly is going on with the Almighty Creator who is beyond all things, including human emotion. How can one believe they can fully grasp the Creator's divine, emotional response with full understanding? I will gladly be the first to humble myself and confess that I don't think I ever could, so why do we expect the words of other people's experiences with God to also fully capture our God in every aspect?

If man cannot properly grasp God in all His vastness, how are they properly to grasp His emotions towards mankind? Who are they to try to reduce God's reactions to mankind's emotions based off of only what they know, which is sourced within their own life and limited by their own understanding? Trying to box God into the emotions of mankind that resonates from humanity's ego is, in my opinion, undermining the vastness and reality of how pure and perfect God truly is. 

Now I'm not saying every verse does this, because again, we must use discernment to each event that happened. When a prophet spoke, we know those are objective words from God. However, when it is says that God is jealous or God repents, maybe we should look deeper into these words and first try to understand what it was trying to be conveyed, and if we don't find the answer in the original language, to also remember that this was the subjective experience of whoever went through it and later wrote it.

So I do not blame men if they ever failed to grasp the perfect, unknowable, God and writing what makes sense to them, but that does not properly do justice to who God truly is. That's why I try not to understand God solely through what has been written about God, but I rely even more heavily on my own personal relationship with God. If I had to choose (which I don't, but I'm using it as an example) to either live vicariously through someone else's faith from 5,000 years ago, or solely on my personal experience with God, I would choose spending time with God right now in a heartbeat.

So again, I'm not saying the Bible isn't important, I'm simply saying it's one side of the coin, and our personal experience with God is another. Both are important. Both provide insights on experiences with God. Discernment with what is subjective and objective is key when we read the Bible in order to stop ourselves from limiting who God is in His fullness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journal Discourse 84

Journal Discourse 81

Journal Discourse 83