Entry #17 - Lesson on Happiness

I used to think that I had to be sad when sad times happened. Or I could only be happy when I was in a happy moment. But my perspective has completely shifted after dancing in the kitchen to a little bit of country music. I used to have this weird worry that when things were going so good in my life, something bad was bound to happen.

What kind of outlook was that? And I also realized that I allowed the situations in my environment to dictate my emotional reaction. I would assume I was going to be sad soon because I was really happy in the current situation, and I would sort of wait with anticipation for when it would hit.

But again, my perspective has completely changed. I realized that some of the most powerful moments are being able to overcome negativity with positivity. You get a flat tire, but instead of crying or getting angry, you find it within yourself to laugh about it. Then you find a solution and know that it's not the end of the world.

Someone cuts you off, and they almost hit you, but instead of whipping out the middle finger, you thank God they're okay and think of all the people you've cut off and how thankful you were that God protected you as well.

I think it's so powerful to be able to keep our mindset positive even in the midst of trials. It doesn't mean you always have to be happy, but when happiness is an option, you choose that over any negative emotions that might be trying to take over.

I'm not saying you should stop experiencing other emotions, but simply if you have the option to choose between negatively or positively reacting to a situation, maybe consider choosing to go for the more positive emotions, knowing that in general, they tend to be more satisfying and cultivate more happiness, joy, and peace. I promise, doing so won't kill you... It just might make you feel a little better. ;)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Journal Discourse 84

Journal Discourse 81

Journal Discourse 83