Religion Unmasked

June 6th 2022

Religion, alongside traditions and culture, is the epitome of living through and in the past and oftentimes even in and through the future as well. Not everyone, but many within religion are obsessed with their particular religion’s traditions, beliefs, doctrines, labels, jargons, definitions, etc and that unhealthy obsession creates misery which then parasitically extends in every part of that person's life.
Those stuck within illusory boundaries, that they consensually bound themselves to, are the one's who are most likely to obsess over their religion using the language that they believe is most blessed and most holy. They exclaim their religion’s rituals and ordinances are the most effective in bringing them closest to God. They obsess over their religion’s written words and history, which is thoroughly picked apart each week by their leaders who subliminally control them through suggestion, until there’s nothing new and noteworthy to pick apart.

Then the leaders know they need to keep their sheep coming back every week, so they start making every little small thing symbolize and mean something. It's no longer about the stories, but about all the little symbols and connections the leader establishes to make it less boring as they cover the same people, same stories, and same roads.

Most people in general are obsessed, attached and addicted to the past and future and religion adding to that, does not help with that addiction. It may help with giving people hope, but if people are struggling to be present, then it is counterproductive because then it keeps them focused on the future rather than focusing on trying to be fully present.

In my opinion, religion administers more poison than antidote, but it is largely based on the consciousness the religious leaders teach with. For some, it can be their antidote. Many have been poisoned with religion just like they have been poisoned by society, culture and their own family members. But ironically, other denominations within religion are able to soothe the burn of itself by providing less dogmatic beliefs, doctrines and ideas by training people to be more present through daily mindfulness activities, and helping people become less addicted to the past, present or future.

Those hurt by religion may have scars from their religion's burns, but they’ve found an antidote and to them, it’s worth it to stay within the boundaries of their religion. Then there are others who have been scarred so badly from the poisons and burns of religion that they run away as far as possible from religion. They run with tears blinding their eyes, panting and in pain, never desiring to enter its walls again.


Then there are others who have been scarred by the injustices and painful doctrines of their religion that they courageously stand up against the leaven deemed from heaven and proclaim that it is not right. They become atheists, agnostics, open spiritualists, or maybe even other religionists, and boldly proclaim the injustice and divisive beliefs of that prior religion.

Then eventually those once hurt by religion, heal from it's various poisons to the point where they can see the neutrality within and without and they can no longer be hurt by it whether inside or outside of its walls. They fully realize religion has traces of deadly poison (which are oftentimes doctrines and beliefs rooted in division) but also that there exists an antidote to that religion's particular poison.

There are holy sages inside and outside of religion, but since most people have little to no self control and have not healed from obsession, they will find these liberated ones and instantly form a religion around them. They’ll take their words as if it’s coming straight from the mouth of God and obsess over that teacher. Then once again the problem is not being solved, it’s simply changing avenues. Before they were more obsessed with the past or future of their religion, now they are showing more obsession over their teacher who is telling them to not obsess over the past or the future!

It’s circular hysteria, circular suffering. Obsession breeds attachment and attachment breeds addiction. Break the cycle by seeing the cycle as a reflection of one’s state of mind. Once one realizes that obsession causes more harm than help, it’s best to drop all that which one was obsessed with. When I was obsessed with Christianity to the point where I submitted to it for all my doctrines, ideas, belief systems... When I would go four times a week to kneel before the religion… It had me around it's little stubby finger.

I had a good friend who encouraged me to read The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle (my wake up call in the form of a book to simply be present) when I told her the struggles of anxiety, stress, and how I was not able to get out, even though I was reading my Bible everyday, going to church four times a week, and praying day and night unceasingly.


After reading this tiny book on being present, I realized how I was so obsessed over my religion to the point where I was always either thinking about the past (the Bible stories) or thinking about the future (how much better heaven was going to be). Then with that new found discovery and added level of awareness, I was able to live a healthier life by being more present.

After reading that book, I knew I still wasn’t strong enough to stop obsessing over the beliefs of Christianity, so I did the thing that I feared most, I dropped it all. I want to make it clear. I did not drop God, I dropped religion that formed itself around God. I dropped going to church four times a week. I dropped reading the Bible stories everyday. I dropped reading Christian books about the Bible stories and instead, I tried my best to recenter myself on the present moment and to be still with God.


It went from an outward relationship where Christianity was the mediator between me and God, to an inward relationship where I was free to go directly to God. To refocus myself in the present moment. For someone who was conditioned to rely on religion and to believe obsession over religion is actually a good thing, dropping all contact with the religion of Christendom was one of the scariest things I had ever done, but also one of the most liberating things I had ever done.


Now I can either go to a church service, read the Bible, and listen to Christian music without being triggered into obsession over the past or future or the religion. I can do all that without being triggered by any trauma I felt throughout the years within Christendom. The difference is since I'm no longer obsessed with Christianity, I don't allow it to be my personality. I am free to go within or to go without. To explore new denominations or go to the desert to be alone with God for 40 days and 40 nights. There is not a separation of church for me.


For me, all of life is my church. My stories with God and others are the Bible. Me dancing with the birds and bees in nature is my worship. I don't confine my relationship with the Divine within a registered trademarked denomination of Christendom. I have set myself free from the obsession and addiction to religion by simply becoming more present. Many religions wouldn't want to admit that it is that easy to experience freedom, but it truly is or else I would not have written all of this up on the notion that not having a healthy relationship with being present leads one to be stuck in the past or future, thus causing obsession, addiction and misery.

I finally understood how many religions cause so many people in it to unknowingly obsess over past and future events, which causes immense suffering. Finally with no fear to hold me back, I tried to understand other religions for a few years until I realized a common theme with them all. They all rely heavily on their religions history, labels, definitions, approved enlightened masters, their definition of salvation, God, and most importantly, their beliefs of the future. It is neither bad nor good to be a follower of a particular system of belief inside or out of religion, but rather it is an experience we partake of until we no longer to partake of it.


My journey of exploring multiple denominations of Christianity and the belief systems of other religions is not better or worse than someone who chooses to only explore the belief systems within Christianity. They both are valid experiences of life. What matters the most is regardless of the belief system one submits to, that person realizes being present will help to keep themselves equanimous and free from the entanglements of fear.


However it is also important to be reminded that the the more present you become, the more aware you become of those who are obsessed and addicted to the past and future. Also, you will become aware that your healthier relationship with the present moment will make some religious denominations unbearable to be a part of. You will no longer want to support a rigid belief system that condemns, judges, gets excited over division and so you'll decide that it no longer matches your energy.

Many are unfortunately tied deeply into the past and deeply into the future to the point where many are unsure which events are true and which were myths made by those obsessing over their enlightened masters. For us who were not there, we might never know in this life, but why does it matter? Why spend hours, days, weeks, months and years obsessing over the past and future when we can live right now? When we can write our own stories? When we can be our own enlightened masters? I definitely don’t think anyone needs religion to be enlightened, but if you want a community and you don't mind having a community centered oftentimes on a rigid belief system, then go right ahead.

But just remember, if you ever go beyond the confines of that religion's rigid belief system, you will eventually feel like an outcast. The minute you start believing something different than the community that is established with a particular belief system, is the minute you have become the black sheep. This is why joining a community that structures it's membership on a belief system can be extremely tricky. Where there were no walls, there are now four walls and any little hit you make to their belief system, will eventually be felt by one of them... Eventually. (I'm speaking from personal experience.)

Religion can be fine, just like cultures, societies and traditions can be fine. It's a form of exploring the human existence while on Earth. However, it can also become not fine through obsession of the past and future of that religion's teachings or a belief system that says "our way or you burn forever." Or "We are the most correct and everyone else does not have the truth." Countless wars, countless bloodshed over what? Beliefs in the head? Which belief is better than another? It’s ludicrous, but that’s what obsession over the past and future does to people. It breeds ludicrous behavior over time periods that are long gone.

Where people are killing people over an event that may or may not have even happened, that's how you know it's making people act insanely. But don’t get me wrong, there are many who outgrew any of the poisons within religion just as they outgrew any of the poisons found within society, culture and family. They make their own antidote and administer it timely and efficiently. They then lead those stuck obsessing within their religion into either a healthier relationship with their religion, or beyond the walls of it entirely.

These are the enlightened saints and sages who are oftentimes, found deep within the caves and hermitages all over the world, or who have studied with them for long periods of time (cough, cough, Jesus) They spend much of their time away from the hustle and bustle of the collective masses to be alone with themselves and to really ponder the depth of the present moment (cough, cough, Jesus in the desert for 40 days and 40 nights). Finding the key out of obsession to the past and future and of general misery, they share it with others. May there be more who make these antidotes inside and outside of religions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journal Discourse 84

Journal Discourse 81

Journal Discourse 83