Entry 297 - Bible Over Me Mindset

8/26/20

When people say “well without the Bible we wouldn’t know who God is” I say to that, is that really so? So you need someone else’s experiences to know God and not your own?

To me, it shows me that they value other people’s experiences above their own. I mean, that is one of the main shiny attractors in religion. People say, “Hey look, they already have it all figured out. Hey, look they’ve been doing this much longer than we have, so of course we can trust them.” 

Well, what about that religion that is older than Judaism in the East? Then they might say, “well, I was born into this religion, so I don't know. I just stay here. I don’t really go out. I’m comfortable with what I know in here.”

See to me when people say they need the Bible to define their relationship with God what they’re actually saying is they need a book to define the religion they are choosing to adhere to because without it, what church do you go to? What people do you share beliefs with? How do you find a community of believers who believe like you do if you have no consensus on beliefs? Is there even such a thing?

Because many fundamental churches put the doctrinal beliefs at the head of their denomination, people feel more at peace knowing they don’t have to have their beliefs challenged because they all for the most part agree on the hard stuff.

What would happen if they went to a church where they all appreciated the Bible but believed different things? Would it make it uncomfortable for them? Would it challenge them in a way they aren’t used to? Would it make them grow?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journal Discourse 84

Journal Discourse 81

Journal Discourse 83